View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - [SOLVED] Using projeqtor without plannification - ProjeQtOr

[SOLVED] Using projeqtor without plannification

More
06 May 2020 09:44 #1 by LongChair
Hello everyone,

We have been trying to use projector for a month to check how adapted it was to our way of working.

Our needs are :
- To have a global shared planning
- to get some data on people business / availability.

In the past month we have had a lot of misunderstandings by our users on the planification feature and i was wondering if there was a way to avoid part of it.
I have tried to check in the options, but couldn't fins anything that looks related to our need. So let me explain what we would need.

- Our engineer make a schedule for their project, using basically start date and duration.
- they also use link between tasks and this works fine.

Problem comes when some people work on several tasks at one time and when they are overbooked. this is like constant situation here which would require to adjust the planning way too often. What we have now is that when this happens, projeqtor will just move tasks around to avoid the surbooking, which cuases a lot of issues.
At the same time when people are overbooked and that we need to move tasks, it won't allow it and that will generate a lot of frustration as they need to find out why.

So here is the main question : Is there a way to have the planification feature ignore overbooking and just handle the relation ships with tasks, allowing you to move around tour tasks, but not doing that automatically ?

Thanks for your support.
The topic has been locked.
More
07 May 2020 19:58 #2 by babynus
So here is the main question : Is there a way to have the planification feature ignore overbooking
No, there is not way to ignore overbooking, but there is a way to allow some overbooking. Have a look at this feature available on each resource.

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site
More
09 May 2020 19:58 - 10 May 2020 08:33 #3 by burgerzs
Hi,

On the one hand, I think this possibility to set overbooking on the resource level is very good.

On the other hand, I noticed that project managers also like to see an ideal state, how the project would go if the assigned people would only work on that specific project. (Don't ask me why.) If you would like to achieve this at the moment, you have to set overbooking one by one for each resource, and it may be inconvenient.

I have an evolution idea, and for that, I created a first version based on v8.4.4 :
I slightly changed the planning part to have a checkbox to calculate planning with "infinite capacity of a resource". If it is checked, then capacity is calculated almost as if for each resource 999 FTE was set for overbooking. (It behaves only almost as if we were setting overbooking one by one for each resource because currently if I set allocation of a resource for a project to e.g. 60% and I also set overbooking, then 60% is not taken into account anymore for a given project. In my version, 60% is taken into account for a given project on a weekly basis. For me, this latter seems to be more reasonable than how projeqtor works at the moment. Although, I don't know if my version calculates correctly in every case.)

I attached the files and two screenshots. It might be useful to add that kind of feature to the product.

File Attachment:

File Name: overbooking.zip
File Size:43 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 May 2020 08:33 by burgerzs.
More
10 May 2020 13:31 #4 by babynus
Hi,

Plan with "infinite" capacity (or at least 999 FTE) will work only for fixed duration or regular tasks.
It will give wrong calcultation for default "as soon as possible' planning mode as most tasks will be done in 1 day..

Babynus
More
11 May 2020 08:20 #5 by burgerzs
If you set 999 FTE in the "Variations in resource capacity" block, then it really behaves as you described, so e.g., a 40 hours task will be planned to 1 day.

But if you set 999 FTE in the "Management of surbooking periods" block, then the maximum daily plan on one task will be a maximum of 8 hours. So a 40 hours task will be distributed to 5 days. In my previous post I was talking about this functionality.
More
10 Jun 2020 17:38 #6 by babynus
Hi Burgers,

Your code (slightly changed) is included in V8.5.
In fact your idea is cute and required only small code change, so risk of regressions is low.
What I like in your solution, is that using "infinite" surbooking will highlight tasks with overused resources with orange color, like for surbooking.
I added activation of this feature through "specific access right", so that admin can decide which profiles of users can use this mode, as, in my opition, this feature should not be opened to everyone.
So now we have two planning modes :
- New "with overuse" that will look like MS-Project default planning mode
- Default "without overuse" that will look like MS-Project "audit of all resources" feature.

Thanks for your contribution.

Babynus
Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.