View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - Planed task longer than expected - ProjeQtOr

Planed task longer than expected

More
19 Nov 2014 19:51 #1 by hle
Hi,

I'm puzzled by a task planned end date when :
  • I create an "task" activity, to be planned "as soon as possible without any date set (excepted the "handled date" which is automatically set to today
  • I assign some resources to it - say 2 developers, each one is supposed to carry the job in just one day
  • I do not fill "validated work" expecting ProjectOR to deduce its value from the previously set resource allocation effort (i.e. 2 days)
  • I make ProjectOR compute the planning, set the project start date to the 1rst of November
  • The activity stretches from the 1rst to the 26th of november ?! Why 26th ... ? Did the zero value of the validated work misleads the planning computation ?
  • back to the activity panel, I set the "validated work" to a value of 2 days
  • I try another computation of the planning. The task still lasts nearly a month long...And no way to directly change the planned end date
  • the "planning // monthly planning resource/project" report shows some planned activities set randomly between the project start and the mysterious 26th of november (the planned effort is correct : 2 days)
  • I failed to find in the forum any similar experience. I was expecting ProjectOR to plan the two developers to work on the task the 2nd of November and complete it within 1 day

• Thanks in advance again for any hint
The topic has been locked.
More
19 Nov 2014 21:02 #2 by babynus
Check for availability of resource : maybe they are busy on other tasks
Check affectation start date : resource cannot work on project before affectation start date
Check for dependencies : maybe you have some contraint

Notice that : ProjeQtOr will not auto fill validated work.
Sum of work assigned to resource is ... assigned work.

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site
More
20 Nov 2014 09:30 #3 by hle

babynus wrote: Check for availability of resource : maybe they are busy on other tasks
Check affectation start date : resource cannot work on project before affectation start date
Check for dependencies : maybe you have some contraint

The project I created is quite simple. Resources are not affected to other tasks.
Affectation start date is not filled (I suppose the affectation date is the "start date" associated to a function like "analyst", "developer"... in the resource panel.
There's no dependencies.

Surprisingly the gantt planning is (nearly) correct this morning. Apparently, disconnecting then reconnecting has fixed the issue on every activities but one.

I'm using Project'Or RIA V3.4.4 :whistle: Quite reliable up to now :cheer:
There's at least 2 or 3 years of tickets stored inside.
I'm not so keen on trying to upgrade at the risk of losing all this history... or backing up, trying to upgrade then returning to the current version.
Is there a migration path from v3.4.4 to 4.5 ? Is it straightfoward ?

Still many thanks
More
20 Nov 2014 11:33 #4 by hle
Shame on me !
I had some old unclosed tasks on a forgotten project I didn't care of.
I fixed their remaining work and the planning is fine now !
ProjeQtor is still the only project management tool I really appreciate !
More
20 Nov 2014 19:55 #5 by babynus
Hi
You can easily migrate from 3.4 to 4.5 (from any to any other).
Risk to loose data is very (very) small.
Just backup our database before (but you do it daily don't you ?)

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site
More
24 Nov 2014 11:03 #6 by hle

babynus wrote: You can easily migrate from 3.4 to 4.5 (from any to any other).

Upcoming test. Stay tuned... :)

Just backup our database before (but you do it daily don't you ?)

Our projector instance is hosted by a VM. A snapshot of the VM is regularly backep up ;)
Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.038 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.