View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Supportez nous sur Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - "Work driven" Project Management - ProjeQtOr

Prochaines sessions de formation

Les prochaines formations et démonstrations sont ouvertes, inscrivez-vous rapidement !

Démonstration de ProjeQtOr

(gratuit, sur inscription)

Mardi 23 avril (10h30-12h)

Jeudi 16 mai (16h-17h30)

Jeudi 13 juin (10h30-12h)

Planifiez avec ProjeQtOr

3 et 4 avril (9h - 12h30)

Administrez avec ProjeQtOr

10 et 11 avril (9h - 12h30)

"Work driven" Project Management

More
20 Mar 2014 16:44 #1 by babynus
ProjeQtOr implements "Work driven" project management.
But What is it ?

The main principle is :
  • customer requests a change (or else) : in most cases he requests for a target date (called requested end date)
  • Project Leader, depending on resource avaialbilty, assigns resources : this defines assigned work
    and runs planning calculation to determine possible target date
    with possible ajustments and new calculation to find best planning
  • with complete planning, Project Leader can commit on target : validated work, validated end date
  • when working, resources enter real work, day by day : real work,
    and update left work depending on what is left to do (left work is automatically updated when real work is entered, but it must be re-estimated)
  • planned work is automatically calculated as real work + left work

So
  • validated work = committed work
  • assigned work = validated work dispatched to the resources
  • real work = work really done by each resources
  • left work = new estimate of left work
  • planned work = new estimate of full work = real work + left work

And from this data :
  • real progress = real work / (real work + left work) = real work / planned work
  • expected progress = real work / validated work (where progress should be if validated work was correct)

So, to get the correct progress, the left work must be updated :
  • by resource on real work allocation
  • by Project Leader on assignment in the activity

So now, why only "work driven" principle, why not let the resource estimate the progress ?
Because of expertise and long practice of project management.
Just try this once or twice, you'll be surprised ...
  • consider a 10 days task
  • after resource has worked 5 days, meet him and ask : "what is your progress on the task ?"
  • 99% of change you get : "50% !"
  • then, slightly change the question and ask : "how much work do you need to finish the task ?"
  • you could be surprised to hear : "7 days !"
  • so you request some explanation : "but you just said you did half of the work ?"
  • and don't be surprise to hear : "Yes !!! I did half of what's to be done" (half of the rules, of half of the specification), "but I left the hardest for the end, so the end will be a bit longer" ... or alternatively "but I did not run unit tests yet, and I will manage all at the end" ... or possibly "but when all is done I'll have a little of tuning to integrate components and have them work together"...
I heard these so many times that I really made my mind : only plan from "work" and fight to have "left work" restimated at least on a weekly basis.

This was my 2 cents on project Management, hope it can help...

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site
The following user(s) said Thank You: abelinux
The topic has been locked.
Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.026 seconds

Paramétrages de cookies

Cookies fonctionnels

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Veuillez vous connecter pour voir vos activités!

Autres cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.