View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - Planning Parallel Activities on Same Resource - ProjeQtOr

Planning Parallel Activities on Same Resource

More
03 Oct 2014 15:11 #1 by prg
Hi Babynus,
congratulation for the best project management tool ever made. Really.

I'm now using for a large project with several resources and hundread activities; everything went well but for the planning.
I'm using Fixed Duration for all the activities since it's the only one that considers dependencies (i.e. asap totally ignore dependencies don't know why).

Apart from that, I have a lot of activities assigned to a single resource (1 FTE) that starts at the same moment. The planner should take priority into consideration when planning those activities. However, I notice that quite often the planner tend to start an activity, then stop it, start another, then complete the first, instead of complete opened activities (the most reasonable option).

Example:
- A1: 16h to RESOURCE1
- A2: 16h to RESOURCE1

Planning of RESOURCE1:
- Monday 8h on A1
- Tuesday 8h on A2
- Wednesday 8h on A2
- Thursday 8h on A1

I'm quite confident with PHP; can you tell me how to change the planner in order to make it works like that?

Thank You!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2014 15:27 - 03 Oct 2014 15:27 #2 by babynus
Hi,

First, thanks for your feedback. :blush:

I'm now using for a large project with several resources and hundread activities; everything went well but for the planning.
I'm using Fixed Duration for all the activities since it's the only one that considers dependencies (i.e. asap totally ignore dependencies don't know why).

1) If only fix duration shows dependency, it is because you did not set work.
ProjeQtOr is work driven, so you need to define some assigned work (or at least someleft work).
Then run planning : you'll see dependencies are taken into account !

Apart from that, I have a lot of activities assigned to a single resource (1 FTE) that starts at the same moment. The planner should take priority into consideration when planning those activities. However, I notice that quite often the planner tend to start an activity, then stop it, start another, then complete the first, instead of complete opened activities (the most reasonable option).

2) The behavior you face is because of "fix duration" planning mode.
This mode is designed to define fixed duration that you will not manage with your resources.
For instance, if you deliver a software to a customer, this one will have some testing period before you can deploy the software (but you won't know the work onvolved for customer, and possibly won't care about it)
If you set some work on "fix duration" task, it is planned like "regular beetween dates". This explains the behavior your face : ProjeQtOt tries ti dispatch the work during the hole period.
What you expect is behavor of "as soon as possible" tasks.
Try and change planning mode and run planning : you'll get what you want :woohoo:
You can use multiple update for that (will be quicker thant one by one) ;)

I'm quite confident with PHP; can you tell me how to change the planner in order to make it works like that?

Sorry, you will not need to play with the code :P

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site
Last edit: 03 Oct 2014 15:27 by babynus.

More
03 Oct 2014 15:36 #3 by prg
Hi Babynus, very fast reply!!!

I set work for all the elementary activities but ASAP still didn't consider the dependencies, that's why I used fixed duration.

Any hint why asap should not take dependencies in consideration?

More
03 Oct 2014 15:46 #4 by babynus

Any hint why asap should not take dependencies in consideration?

It does !
But it is not visible until you set some work and run planning.

Babynus

More
03 Oct 2014 16:06 #5 by prg
Yes, it should :(

Maybe I got the point. Looking at the picture attached taken from my plan, planned with ASAP, seems dependencies have not been taken into consideration. Looking at table "plannedwork" cames out that activity on gantt start even if no work has been planned for; that should not be.

Apart from that, I still have problem with resource allocation I was mentioning. Below picture is taken from the resource planning.

activity 31.4.1.4.3 has 400 of priority, while ALL the other have 500.

Any idea?
Attachments:

More
03 Oct 2014 16:18 #6 by babynus
About first picture, what can be source of issue :
- planning has not been run on project (check that "fix planning" is not checked and you run planning for this project)
- there is already some real work : so start date is real start date
- dependency has some negative delay that allows second task to run in parallel

About priority of task 31.4.1.4.3, it should be planned before others (as there is no other constraint)
- it really looks like planning has not been run.

Take care that to run planning on a project :
- you must select this project or one of its parents or no project (will run for all) where running planning
- "fix planning" must not be checked (this prohibs change on planning)
- project type is not "Template" (or any project type with code TMP)

If project persist, could you concider anonymising your database and send it to me (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) ?

Babynus

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.