Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - Workflow organization - ProjeQtOr

Workflow organization

More
15 Jun 2013 15:14 - 15 Jun 2013 15:15 #1 by Obelix
Workflow organization was created by Obelix
Hi,

I have to keep track in the planning of all the tasks of one project.
Work and subwork must be approved by a supervisor and the resource to whom the job has been assigned, must be able to change the % of progress.

How can I orgnaize my workflow? (ticket, activities, action etc)

thank you for your help
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jun 2013 15:15 by Obelix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2013 20:27 - 15 Jun 2013 20:28 #2 by babynus
Replied by babynus on topic Re: Workflow organization
Your work item shoud be activities.
Define a specific workflow for validation process.
To have progress, you must define some work on the activities (assigned work).
Then resource enter real work that will update progress.

I will always insist to deal with work and not directly with progress.
Ask a resource :
- "what is your progress on this task ?"
He may reply :
- "80%"
because he did 8 items open 10.
But when you ask him :
- "how much time did you spend ?"
- "5 days"
- "OK, and how much time to you need to finish the task ?"
- "5 days"
- "but you told me you did 8 items upon 10 ?"
- "yes, but I left the hardest for the end..."
So the real progress is "50%", not "80%".

I faced this situation so much time, that it is the first thing I try to explain to a new resource... "always estimate the work left to finish the task".

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site
Last edit: 15 Jun 2013 20:28 by babynus.

More
25 Jun 2013 15:18 #3 by Obelix
Replied by Obelix on topic Re: Workflow organization
sorry for the delay

Thank you ;)

More
19 Jul 2013 10:44 #4 by sebo106
Replied by sebo106 on topic Re: Workflow organization
Hi,

My name is Sebastian. I just decided to utilise Project'or Ria for my project so I am quite new to it.

I think I face similar problem as you described above therefore I am not opening a new topic and instead I give you my arguments as a reply .

I'd like to find out if there still would be a possibility to track the progress according to task's/project’s real progress instead of the time spent on it.

In my case I have a lot of tasks which cannot be predicted in time and can be easily measured in pieces. For example a task can contain 5000 pcs of records to make. For me that would be great to know how many pieces were done by a resource instead of time spent on it. Each records are different and one can take 5 minutes, another 15 minutes. At the end of a time period I should know how many records were done, how many records are left to do and what is the progress of the task/project based on "(q-ty done)/ (q-ty to do)*100" .
That solution would be better for task where the quantity of items to do is a main factor determining the progress.

Basing on time is perfect when you know how effective the time is and when you can reliably estimate the time spent on a task.

If a person has many task to do and it's work is for example interrupted you'd never know how much real time was spent on it. In that case you'd be more interested in knowing what is the progress - which would be measurable and reliable instead of time spent which may mislead the manager.

Concluding, my question is if there is a possibility of measuring the progresses of a task/project basing of the job's progress (pieces, quantity or simply inputting percentage manually) instead of the time.

I would be really grateful for your help in finding the solution or giving an advice,

Thank you in advance,
Sebastian,

More
19 Jul 2013 11:23 #5 by babynus
Replied by babynus on topic Re: Workflow organization
Hi,

Your situation will be difficult to solve as Project'Or RIA is work driven...
It could be an evolution to define new behavior of "fixed duration" planning mode (or other new planning mode) to be able to specify progress :
- either entering progress manually
- or defining "target" and "current" values (and maybe a text field to define the unit...)
But this is not planned.

As a workaround, I can image one solution :
- consider your work units as "records" (or thouthand of records, it's up to you) instead of days
- define the resource capacity as an average "records" per day.
Example :
- Resource R : capacity 100 (can manage an average of 100 records per day)
- Define Activity A
- Assign R to A with assigned work = 5000
- Run planning : planned duration = 50 days (not too bad)
- Enter real work = 100 per day during 5 days
- current progress is 10% : exactly what you expect ! no ?

- you enter your assigned "work" as number of records (say 5000)

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

More
19 Jul 2013 12:06 #6 by sebo106
Replied by sebo106 on topic Re: Workflow organization
Thanks for your quick response! I am really surprised :)

Your suggestion seems reasonable. I am not familiar with the program enough to predict what would be the consequences for the whole project calculation if I follow your idea.

I consider to adopt my data and jobs for time control somehow and found following idea:

1. Find average time for a record – for example 8 minutes to make one record
2. Multiply the average time by the quantity to do – e.g. 8 minutes*5000 records=40000 minutes=666,6 hrs and that would be the duration i suppose
3. The resource would have the capacity left as it really is
4. After finished job instead of real time spend he’d have to make a manual calculation – (records done)*(average time). The result could be treated and input as (in my opinion even effective effective time:)and input accordingly.

The progress should then reflect the real status of the task/project and the idea of using time would remain intact.

I wonder how you’d see it, would that work properly?

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.