View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - How to actually use the "Administrative projects" category? - ProjeQtOr

How to actually use the "Administrative projects" category?

More
21 May 2018 09:10 #1 by NarayanAras
We are on the lookout for a way to log non-productive work for all resources:
  1. Idle time (no work assigned)
  2. Training
  3. Leave of all kinds (Sick leave, Earned leave, Casual leave)
  4. Building infrastructure for the organization (e.g. configuring CM system)
  5. Attending meetings called by the seniors, unrelated to any project/product

The "Administrative projects" category seems to fit this need, because the resources need not be allocated to such projects.
Also, they need not be assigned a task. Thus they themselves can create a new task and enter the actual time spent.

If that understanding is correct (please confirm?), there are a couple of questions about how to configure the system:
1. Does the Admin need to explicitly define at least one such project? Or does ProjeQtor add one Administrative project by default?

2. How would a person know what types of tasks are available, if an Administrative-type project does not have tasks beforehand?
(e.g. he may not know/expect that Earned Leaves are to be entered here.)

3. If the same meeting is attended by multiple people, then it ought to be defined by the person who called it.
Then anyone who attended it can log in his time against that particular task.
(In this case, ProjeQtor shows that 10 people attended the same meeting, and can even store the outcome, if any.)

But usually the seniors lack this discipline: They call meetings at a whim, and do not bother to create a "meeting" task in ProjeQtor.
One viable solution is that one of the attendees enters the task post facto, and alerts the others to enter their own timing against it.
Is that possible? In other words, if a resource creates a task, is it visible to others, and can they add their own time to it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2018 09:20 #2 by babynus

If that understanding is correct (please confirm?),

Yes, you're right

1. Does the Admin need to explicitly define at least one such project?

Yes

Or does ProjeQtor add one Administrative project by default?

No
You can define several adminsitrative project (for instance one per year)

2. How would a person know what types of tasks are available, if an Administrative-type project does not have tasks beforehand?

Name of project and name of tasks should be explicit
And tool does not prohib communication.

3. If the same meeting is attended by multiple people, then it ought to be defined by the person who called it.

If you want to folow up each meeting separately, then use Meeting object, and not on administrative project.
Otherwise, a single activity for all meetings is enough.

But usually the seniors lack this discipline: They call meetings at a whim, and do not bother to create a "meeting" task in ProjeQtor.

Laziness is the mother of all vices

One viable solution is that one of the attendees enters the task post facto, and alerts the others to enter their own timing against it.
Is that possible? In other words, if a resource creates a task, is it visible to others, and can they add their own time to it?

In this case use one single activity for all meetings (if it is just to book time)

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

More
28 May 2018 13:39 #3 by NarayanAras
I tried to use the Administrative project to record non-productive activities such as leaves, meetings, training sessions etc.

As discussed, I defined a project named "Timekeeping", and changed its type to Administrative.

I have not defined anything else (no allocation to this project, no assignments to these activities, etc.)

I expected that the project would become visible to our entire organization.
But the other resources cannot see the project.

Even I can see the project only in the Top+lower halves of the Projects screen.
But it is completely missing from the Planning screen (it is not even listed in the top half!).

In the Planning Screen, the project is not even visible in the top half, but I can enter activities like Leaves, Training, etc.

But after I save the activities, they disappear from the bottom half of the screen also!
This is completely freaky. Please help solve the issue.
Attachments:

More
28 May 2018 14:33 #4 by babynus
Administrative project are not "planable" as they are not real project (they don't have a start and end date)
So they are not displayed on Gantt chart. Never.

But every resource can see activities on Administrative project on Real Wrok Allocation screen.

Babynus

More
29 May 2018 06:53 - 29 May 2018 06:54 #5 by NarayanAras
Well, I checked the Real work allocation sheet for a random resource (see below).

It does not show the Admin project activities at all.

First of all, I have no way to see what activities I have defined in the Timekeeping project!
As soon as enter the activity, it simply disappears, as shown in an earlier screenshot.
That's not normal!
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 May 2018 06:54 by NarayanAras.

More
29 May 2018 08:42 #6 by babynus

Well, I checked the Real work allocation sheet for a random resource (see below).
It does not show the Admin project activities at all.

On the screen, parameter "hide not handled items" is not visible.
It means this parameter has been set to Yes in Global Parameter.
Then you need to move activities to status "in progress" to see them here.

First of all, I have no way to see what activities I have defined in the Timekeeping project!

Go to Activity screen.
Then select Timekeeping project on project selector

Babynus

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.