View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - [Security issue] Password policy - ProjeQtOr

[Security issue] Password policy

More
21 May 2019 09:56 - 21 May 2019 10:39 #1 by papjul
Hi,

I will start explaining my use case:
Top management required me to create hundreds of ProjeQtOr accounts for different usages (mostly to access some documents).
I was looking at the history of some user the other day and found that many users had never set their password.
It means they never logged in and still have the default password (which is the same for everyone).
This is not secure at all, as one can usurpate identity of someone else by guessing their login ID and just typing the default password.

These are my recommandations:
- Default password must be randomized, it should not be the same for everyone. User still need to change it the first time as it is sent through email which is not secure.
- User must click on a link to activate their account within 24 hours, otherwise it is locked out.
- There should be some minimal requirements for the randomized password or when a user change their password. ANSSI (French national security agency) recommends that a password must be at minimum 12 characters, including uppercase, lowercase, digits and specials. As I can already see some complaining about this, this feature should be disableable or adjustable (but I recommend to enable it by default).
- #1805 and #2525 are the same tickets about "forgot password" button. It should optionally be solved as well, following the same above recommandations (new password reset must follow same rules, and link becomes outdated in case it is not clicked within 24 hours OR if user has successfully logged in with his usual password since reset email was sent).
- #2641: 2FA rocks, this is probably the best login security advice we can give you, there are tons of HOTP/TOTP libraries out there, however I can understand that you will want to implement other points before looking into this one.

Can we expect to have at least the 2 first points addressed in next version?

Thank you,
Last edit: 21 May 2019 10:39 by papjul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2019 15:43 #2 by Flou
hello,

Your first recommendation it's already included in roadmap, with low priority.
When it will be included we can make your fourth proposal.
We already have considered your third point.

But for this points, we will not do it.

User must click on a link to activate their account within 24 hours, otherwise it is locked out.

- #2641: 2FA rocks, this is probably the best login security advice we can give you, there are tons of HOTP/TOTP libraries out there, however I can understand that you will want to implement other points before looking into this one.

To finish, your recommendations it will not be in the next version, we focus on the sponsored development.

More
22 May 2019 09:29 #3 by papjul
Sad to see that security of ProjeQtOr accounts is taken so lightly :(
I can understand that sponsored development must have high priority, but security and legal (GDPR) issues should be at same level if not higher, however you keep postponing them...
Features are cool but they should not sacrifice security/legal requirements.

More
22 May 2019 15:24 #4 by babynus
If you want more security, use authentication through LDAP : it is your authentication service that will manage password policy.

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

More
22 May 2019 15:56 #5 by papjul
Thank you for the suggestion, I'm not familiar with LDAP but I know we have an Active Directory internally.
We have many external users, is it possible to couple LDAP with "custom" users not in AD?

More
22 May 2019 16:05 #6 by babynus
yes

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.