View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - Automated "Project Code" Generation - ProjeQtOr

Automated "Project Code" Generation

More
10 Apr 2012 16:44 #1 by tt_citron
Hi there!

I discovered Project'Or RIA just recently and am now evaluating whether it is usable for our internal project management. So far it looks really promising!

But one point is missing, or was just not discovered by me, yet: Automated project number generation. We use a system of dedicated numbers to categorize our real world projects. That number is a base for our drawing and document numbers, too.

As far as I understand today we could use the field "Project Code" for that purpose. But when using such a nifty tool as Project'Or RIA it would be a shame to keep a separate list with used and unused project numbers - IMHO that should be handled within the poject management.

I would like to give it a try and implement that automated project number handling myself. The result will be put back to the community, of course.

But I have no clue about how Project'Or RIA ticks inside. Coding in PHP, JS or CSS is not the problem. But is there any documentation or hint where to start when implementing new functions to Project'Or RIA?

So far I only found Dojo is used as JavaScript Toolkit, but what is the Framework for the PHP part?

Any hint where to start when implementing new functions would be great :cheer:

Cheers
Thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2012 17:24 #2 by climb4fun
Hi Thomas,

as we get our project numbers from our central PMO, I will not be able to use this kind of feature. I'm completely satisfied with current solution.

Klaus

More
10 Apr 2012 20:40 #3 by babynus

As far as I understand today we could use the field "Project Code" for that purpose.

Yes, you can do this ! :)
Just take care than Project Code can also be used to calculate items reference.
You can also use the id : it is an automated number !

But when using such a nifty tool as Project'Or RIA it would be a shame to keep a separate list with used and unused project numbers - IMHO that should be handled within the poject management.

Why ? :huh:
Listing project will show you the project code, and the field is directly sortable, so you have the number list in Project'Or RIA.

I have no clue about how Project'Or RIA ticks inside. Coding in PHP, JS or CSS is not the problem. But is there any documentation or hint where to start when implementing new functions to Project'Or RIA?

No, not really, only phpdoc in the code is available.

So far I only found Dojo is used as JavaScript Toolkit, but what is the Framework for the PHP part?

You should not need to use Dojo.
The framework is a homemade one, quite easy to use : all you will need is in the /model directory.
For instance for your need you could :
- alter the database to create a new field (that could be an autoincremented integer)
- alter the Project.php code : add a property with same name as new field, at the place you want it to appear in the screen
- alter the save() method if you need to calculate the field
That's all.

Regards.

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

More
11 Apr 2012 07:58 #4 by tt_citron
Hi Klaus,
Hi Babynus,

thanks a lot for the fast and interesting replies.

I guess you set me on the right track, just because we are such a small company that all thinks regaring project handling are concentrated in one person (me :D ) does not mean that everything should be handled within one tool. After some thinking I agree, that this is correct.

So I will use the Project Code field as a starter to save our project code. And maybe I create some code to create a new versioning scheme that generates document numbers and versions based on the project code. Because this is what I actually wanted - I guess :blush:

Thanks a lot again and keep on with the good work!

Thomas

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.038 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.