View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - Linking tickets' "estimated work" and planning activity - ProjeQtOr

Linking tickets' "estimated work" and planning activity

More
26 Aug 2013 14:46 #1 by caccia
Hi all,

Up until now I haven't really been using the link to a planning activity for tickets, but now I would like to use this for a more important project.

Typically, I have several versions planned for a product, say V1 and V2, and depending on the priority of the tickets, I plan these either for V1 or V2. I then link the tickets to the corresponding activity "bug fixing V1" or "bug fixing V2" for example.

What I am missing however, is a link between the "estimated work" I enter for all my tickets, and the "planned work" on the linked activities.
I think it would be nice to have the "estimated work" added to the "planned work" for my "bug fixing" activities, that way I can immediately tell if I will be able to hold my V1 milestone with the current estimation of bug fixing work for V1.

Of course, I realize that tickets aren't really intended to be planned (unlike tasks), but since we have the option of linking a planning activity to a ticket, I think it would make sense to take into account the estimated work.

What do you think ?
Also, I'd be glad to hear from anyone who uses this feature in a different way, maybe there are alternatives :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2013 10:40 #2 by caccia
OK, I'm replying to myself... :whistle:

I've been thinking about why this was bothering me, and I've actually come to the conclusion that the reason is because I have recently "inherited" an ongoing project, and find myself doing things in an incorrect order.

Basically, I already have a bunch of known issues to deal with, but am only now trying to make a planning for our activities! :ohmy:

Good practice, of course, is to plan a certain amount of work for bug-fixing activities on version X, and then dip into that assigned work whenever bugs are being corrected (and therefore "real work" logged on tickets).

I guess what I'm saying is maybe you should not taking into account my request... :evil:

(Anyway, sorry for thinking out loud!!)

More
29 Aug 2013 19:42 - 29 Aug 2013 19:42 #3 by babynus

Good practice, of course, is to plan a certain amount of work for bug-fixing activities on version X, and then dip into that assigned work whenever bugs are being corrected (and therefore "real work" logged on tickets).

You're completely right. It is exactly the way is was designed in Project'Or RIA.

I guess what I'm saying is maybe you should not taking into account my request...

I'm not so sure :huh:
There is realy somthing that may be missing : when you link tickets to a planning activity, there is no summary of estimated work and more important no sum for total left work on tickets; this is important (imo) to check that left work on activity is enought to fullfill left work on tickets...
I used to think about it but never recorded it ;)
It is done now : Ticket #1179 recorded !

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site
Last edit: 29 Aug 2013 19:42 by babynus.

More
30 Aug 2013 12:37 #4 by caccia
Indeed, you understand my concern very well :)
Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rexeh

More
04 Sep 2013 21:55 #5 by Rexeh

babynus wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is maybe you should not taking into account my request...

I'm not so sure :huh:
There is realy somthing that may be missing : when you link tickets to a planning activity, there is no summary of estimated work and more important no sum for total left work on tickets; this is important (imo) to check that left work on activity is enought to fullfill left work on tickets...
I used to think about it but never recorded it ;)
It is done now : Ticket #1179 recorded !

Hurrah! Exactly the same issue for us using the system now. The process is:

Project comes in
We have a budget for the project
We can place all the development tickets to a development activity... But don't know the EXACT count of work with these tickets
As such it requires you to estimate every ticket, add up those estimations and then amend the planning activity... you add 2 more tickets and suddenly your planning activity doesn't accurately reflect actual work!

Fantastic if this makes it in.

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.045 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.