View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - Add "Replaces" and "Replaced by" fields on docs items - ProjeQtOr

Add "Replaces" and "Replaced by" fields on docs items

More
10 Dec 2013 12:55 #1 by abelinux
Hi Babynus!

I'd like to propose a nice (simple) feature regarding document management.

Most of the time, when we need to make changes to a certain document, we create "versions" of such doc. The doc itself keeps it's name, and increases it's version identifier (number, letter, etc...).

But sometimes, you need to create a new doc, with a new name, that is actually a new version of an already existing doc. This could happen because of several reasons: the one that's being replaced is a legacy doc, or a supplier's doc, or a client's doc, that has it's own name. And you need to create a new doc, with a new naming schema, but containing information that overrides that in the other doc. Or you could simply have made a "typo" naming the first version of a doc, and shouldn't change the name once the doc got published.

So, what I'm really proposing is this:
- Add a "Replaces" field on every doc item
- Add a "Replaced by" field on every doc item
It would also be nice to have this information shown (if possible, on choice) in the upcoming report "Document exchange list" (Ticket #1123)

Then, a nice-to-have upgrade of this proposal, would be to add a "Browse" functionality to both these fields, so I click the google and select the file I want it's name to show on the field, instead of having to write it down "by hand".
Another nice-to-have would be that the doc being "replaced" gets a "closed" status automatically.

What do you Think?
And, as usual, many many thanks for you great work!! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2013 15:10 #2 by babynus

It would also be nice to have this information shown (if possible, on choice) in the upcoming report "Document exchange list" (Ticket #1123)

Why nit use the existing "link" management : you copy old into one and link old to new.

would be to add a "Browse" functionality to both these fields, so I click the google and select the file I want it's name to show on the field, instead of having to write it down "by hand".

I don't understand why you want to browse for a file to create new document and determinate document name ? Document name should be different from file name.

Another nice-to-have would be that the doc being "replaced" gets a "closed" status automatically.

Very specific need indeed.

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

More
10 Dec 2013 16:23 #3 by abelinux

babynus wrote:

Why nit use the existing "link" management : you copy old into one and link old to new.

Well, of course it could be done that way, but wouldn't quite serve the purpose. I'd rather use links to show people docs that are related to this one. This one would be kind of a special type of link, where you state that the doc you're seeing is no longer valid, and got replaced by another. Furthermore, the "linking" thing is more of a convenience. The important thing is that the original doc gets a new property that states that's been replaced. This could be even more interesting now that APIs are on their way, so as to retrieve such information.

would be to add a "Browse" functionality to both these fields, so I click the google and select the file I want it's name to show on the field, instead of having to write it down "by hand".

I don't understand why you want to browse for a file to create new document and determinate document name ? Document name should be different from file name.

Sorry, that wasn't clear. I mean the following hypothetical situation:
- I've created, in Projeqtor, a doc named Doc1.
- I spread it to multiple people involved in the project.
- I realize that, because of naming schema, it should've been named ABC-Doc1. But, because it already got published, I cannot change the name anymore.
- So, when it's time to generate a new version of it, rather than generating Doc1_rev2, I create ABC-Doc1, and state that it replaces Doc1.
Of course, this statement could be just a note +link, but formally, it would be more clear (more definitive) to have a special field that states:
-> In Doc1: (Field) "Replaced By" = "ABC-Doc1"; (Field) "Replaces" = "[empty]"
-> In ABC-Doc1: (Field) "Replaced By" = "[empty]"; (Field) "Replaces" = "Doc1"

Because these are properties that belong inside the document. In fact, it's common use to write down such fields in plot standard frames.

These fields could be populated "by hand", or using the same method Projeqtor uses for linking docs: click on the plus sign, a window pops up (showing e.g. all the docs belonging to the project), you pick one, and the field gets automatically populated.
Of course, sometimes you'll have to replace an old file that's not been created in Projeqtor, so the field should, anyway, be also "hand-writtable" ;)

Very specific need indeed.

Well, perhaps it's specific, but it's very common in engeneering and design. So much that's even been standardized in e.g.: DIN or ISO plot frames. And of course, if the doc got replaced by another one, the logical status for it would be "closed" as you shouldn't work on it anymore.

More
10 Dec 2013 16:43 #4 by babynus
Hi,

Request recorded as Ticket #1249.
This seems no high priority for me (very specific need).

Regards.

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site
The following user(s) said Thank You: abelinux

More
10 Dec 2013 17:55 #5 by abelinux
Thanks!

Indeed, it's no structural improvement... still, it's a nice-to-have detail, since Projeqtor is, step by step, becoming a great document management solution ;)

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.