View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - Using a holding activity for "ALL SUPPORT" and sub activities - ProjeQtOr

Using a holding activity for "ALL SUPPORT" and sub activities

More
11 Mar 2014 16:55 #1 by Rexeh
Hello,

So I have made a planning activity for:

"Support Planning" - With 3 people assigned to it, between regular intervals. I have planned in 400-500 hours in for the year, and planned the activity so it makes people work on support daily.

I then have activities, as sub activities of "Support Planning" which are:

- Client A - Support
- Client B - Support
- Client C - Support

At the moment, the system is expecting me to assign, and plan each sub activity... rather than working in a hierarchy so that users can enter REAL WORK against the sub activities, even though the planning is at the global level - As you don't know where the allocations will go (who will raise the most support). The obvious answer is that I don't want to create a sub activity for an individual client... and plan the time, as this will be wasted resource.

Suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2014 19:46 #2 by babynus
There is no automatic dispatch of work and / or assignment to sub-activities.

But, are you sure you need this level ?
I thing that using tickets should be enought : when you open a ticket for support, you just have to select planning activity to input reald work to suppor tactivity.
Then ticket summary will give you informationh of time spend for a given customer...

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

More
11 Mar 2014 19:53 #3 by Rexeh
Well, if you have a large client base, you need to track how much support each of them are taking up?

If you have a client paying £100 per month, but using £4000 in resource cost... then you have a serious problem no? There is no way to see this without assigning work.

The ideal structure is:

SUPPORT PROJECT
- SUPPORT PLANNING ACTIVITY

SUPPORT CLIENT PROJECT
- SUPPORT CLIENT ACTIVITY

SUPPORT CLIENT PROJECT

SUPPORT CLIENT PROJECT

Because this allows your customers to all have logins, and see their tickets in their project. Moving it to PROJECT and Multiple Activities representing clients creates a problem here I did not think of.

The goal here, is the holy grail. Being able to tie the SUPPORT with WORKFLOW. Not only does support come from support, but clients also raise change requests... these can be quickly piped into planning which is very good for businesses.

Once the API is up, we plan to build a support style facade on the product, and we could share this back :whistle:

More
18 Mar 2014 13:43 #4 by climb4fun
Hi Rexeh,

I have a similar request for my tracking. I set up this way:

1. I created an Activity with my max available volume in validated work - e. g. 400 hours.
2. I assigned my experts to this Activity with my estimated amount of planned efforts. Assigning planned work is not mandatory.
3. My experts booking their efforts on this Activities.
4. Value "expected" is the relation between "validated work" and "real work". This helps to control costs.

Regards,

Klaus

More
18 Mar 2014 15:18 #5 by Rexeh
Hello Klaus,

This would work in most scenarios I imagine, however we have long term visions here.

We want to shift support into Oria, so that the gap between support/development/change requests is 0 as they'll all be under the same systems. To do this, we need individual projects, to give clients access to oria to log tickets via Simple Tickets which can then be dealt with by the team.

The big problems we see, are when someone requests a change request / bug on support systems... it must be duplicated in Oria, then the duplicity must be maintained continuously throughout the process. This is messy and prone to mistakes! Instead of both the client and us seeing "Ticket status > Done Awaiting Deployment" then everyone is on the same page, it could be done in Oria and not liaised with client due to miscommunication etc.

More
18 Mar 2014 17:11 #6 by babynus
As I understand what you expect, I thing you could manage nearly as you wish.

Project 1 - Main Support
Project 1.1 - Support customer 1
Project 1.2 - Support customer 2

Affect Resources to Project 1, and Assign them to P1 main support task with all expected support work.
Assign Resources to work on Support tasks of Projects 1.x, with no work (assigned work = 0)

Then :
- planning for resources is correct whatever the sub-project they work on
- real work is correct on P1.x and correctly summarized on P1 main project

Only constraint :
- at least before re-run planning, "left work" on P1 main support task must be updated as "assigned work" - "real work".

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.