View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - Documents' properties and auto-numbering - Page 3 - ProjeQtOr

Documents' properties and auto-numbering

More
28 Jun 2013 21:35 - 28 Jun 2013 21:38 #13 by abelinux
Hi Babynus,

I took a deep breath, and now I'm back ;)

Regarding the auto-numbering function:

babynus wrote:

3- To define a few more parameters for "document referece": client code, folder code (see 4), client's project code (that may or may not be the same as our project code, see 5)

Is it a day dream ?
:evil:

Well, I may have been dreaming awake lately... :P
Anyway, I don't think this is a dream.

Indeed, I don't have a clue about the amount of work necessary to provide such a change in functionality, that's for sure... :unsure: so it's not like I'm demanding anything. :silly:

But, what I do know, is that it would be, not only a nice improvement, but also a really necessary feature.
Most companies have already established their own naming scheme. Probably, many years ago, and have already generated tons of documents with such a schema. It's not realistic to expect them to "swith" to Project'OrRIA fixed scheme.

I believe this proposal pursues the improvement of one of (in my opinion) best features of Project'OrRIA: to let portal admins configure it to suit their needs. It's just one more of those things that usually needs to be tailored.

So, to the point:
In order to be able to suit as most naming schemes as possible, the configurable reference should provide the option to select as many document's property fields as possible.
I'd propose to add, first, the following fields:
- Client's proyect code
- Client code
- Top Project code (the project of which this one is a sub-project of)
- (name)
- (version)
- (number)

NOTE: It would be useful if the fields "name", "version" and "number" could be added as parameters as well, so that you get to choose their position within the concatenated string.

NOTE (2): is common pratice that projects get divided in different "areas" (whether they're geographical or functional). An easy way to represent this in Project'OrRIA would be to create sub-projects for every area. So, including "Top Project code" as a parameter would allow to use "Area codes" in document's names.
All this, along with "Identifiers for auto-numbering", would solve the areas/folders/auto-number situation that I had mentioned previously. Which, by the way, was wrong indeed: folders are nowadays defined portal-wide (right?), and behave as templates for every project.

Example:

Project code= PROJ1
Number= 2
Type code= LD
Name= Test document

If the format for reference number was configured as shown in the picture:

Then the example document's file name would be:
PROJ1-0002-LD-Test document.ext

There's another feature that would be very helpful:

The numbering format is already a global parameter : "document reference format"

What I meant is a little bit different from what numbering format is capable of doing right now. I'll try to explain myself better:

As you can see in the picture, I'd propose two different fields: (1)"format for reference" and (2)"identifiers for auto-numbering" (actually, couldn't find a better name =p)

(1)"format for reference": I removed the word "prefix" as it would be useful to be able to select the order of the parameters (including number and name). These are the ones that define the concatenated string for the file name.
(2)"identifiers for auto-numbering": these would be the parameters chosen so as to manage auto-number process. For example in the picture, you'd use {PROJ}, {TYPE}, {NUMBER} and {NAME} so as to generate the file name. BUT, the only field checked to auto-number the doc would be {PROJ}. So, in that case, every doc within that proyect would have a unique number, disregarding all the fields you use generate the file name.
Similarly, if left blank, ALL documents uploaded to Project'OrRIA would get a unique number, no matter what client, project, etc, would it belong to. But the main thing here is that admins would be able to choose such behaviour.

Example:
- CASE 1: "Identifiers for auto-numbering"= {PROY}
You upload 3 docs:

DOC1:
Project code= PROJ1
Type code= LD
Name= Test document

DOC2:
Project code= PROJ1
Type code= HS
Name= Plot 1

DOC3:
Project code= PROJ2
Type code= HS
Name= Plot 2

So, with "format for reference" defined as in the picture, numbers and file names would result:
DOC1: number=1 file name=PROJ1-0001-LD-Test document.ext
DOC2: number=2 file name=PROJ1-0002-HS-Plot 1.ext
DOC3: number=1 file name=PROJ2-0001-HS-Plot 2.ext

When generating the doc's number, it checks the first available number within the project.

- CASE 2: "Identifiers for auto-numbering"= <blank>
You upload the same 3 docs:

So, with "format for reference" defined as in the picture, numbers and file names would result:
DOC1: number=1 file name=PROJ1-0001-LD-Test document.ext
DOC2: number=2 file name=PROJ1-0002-HS-Plot 1.ext
DOC3: number=3 file name=PROJ2-0003-HS-Plot 2.ext

When generating the doc's number, it checks the first available number within the whole portal.

That'd be all regarding this. I hope I've made myself clearer this time.

Cheers! And thanks again! :cheer:
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jun 2013 21:38 by abelinux.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2013 21:45 #14 by abelinux
By the way:

When checking the online manual, I found a little problem regarding side description text in the "Global Parameters" page:
Online Manual - Global Parameters 1/2
Online Manual - Global Parameters 2/2

Pictures and descriptions are not coincident. Could deduce from context, anyway, so it's not critical, but wanted to point it out, just in case. ;)

More
29 Jun 2013 01:18 #15 by babynus
Hi
I completed ticket #1124 with your detailed proposale

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site
The following user(s) said Thank You: abelinux

More
29 Jun 2013 01:24 #16 by babynus

When checking the online manual, I found a little problem regarding side description text in the "Global Parameters" page:
Online Manual - Global Parameters 1/2
Online Manual - Global Parameters 2/2

Pictures and descriptions are not coincident. Could deduce from context, anyway, so it's not critical, but wanted to point it out, just in case

You're right. ;)
The online version is quite old. :blush:

You'd beeter rely on a cleaner one, for instance the one provided with each deployment : track.projectorria.org/manual/manual.php...tion=GlobalParameter
(now, description for global parameters have 5 pages) :whistle:

I'll update online version when deployong V3.4. :)

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

More
29 Jun 2013 23:08 #17 by abelinux

babynus wrote: Hi
I completed ticket #1124 with your detailed proposale

I wish I could do more than just typing detailed proposals, but I'm afraid php scripting is out of my league by now... :S

Well, to be precise, it might be a looooooooooong "by now" :whistle:

More
29 Jun 2013 23:13 #18 by abelinux

babynus wrote: I'll update online version when deployong V3.4. :)

Great news! :woohoo:

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.