View ProjeQtOr On SourceForge.net
ProjeQtOr - Project Management Tool
Support us on Capterra
OIN - Open Invention Network
ProjeQtOr free project management software - Documents' properties and auto-numbering - Page 2 - ProjeQtOr

Documents' properties and auto-numbering

More
24 Jun 2013 17:49 #7 by babynus

5- (not so doc related) Projects should have a "client code" that may (probably) differ from internal (our) code. Add a new field "client project code" for projects that can be used as a parameter for a new "client document reference" (see 3).

Ticket 1122 recorded

Babynus
Administrator of ProjeQtOr web site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2013 17:56 #8 by babynus

6- Up to now, the auto-numbering function is constrained within docs of the same type (and, of course, the same project). I.e.: when I upload a new doc, Project'OrRIA checks among docs of the same type (and the same project) which is the one with the highest number, and automatically assignes a (+1) number to my new document. It'd be great if that behaviour could be configured: instead of checking proj+type, it could check just proj, or just type, or just folder code, or folder code+type, or even none (some companies define their numbering scheme as an overall consecutive numbering). (see 7)

The numbering format is already a global parameter : "document reference format"

Babynus

More
24 Jun 2013 17:58 #9 by babynus

7- (see 6) It would be useful (to improve the auto-numbering feature) if we could define a range of doc numbers for certain project / folder / type.
E.g.: within a certain project, I define sub-folders, that represent different areas (either location areas, or conceptual areas).
For example:
100- Folder 1
200- Folder 2
I may want every doc within the project to have a unique number, but perhaps I'd prefer them to have some sort of a prefix that allows a refined search. I.e.:
Docs in folder 100 -> auto-number starting on 10000
Docs in folder 200 -> auto-number starting on 20000

Very difficult to implement as MProject is not mandatory is the format : format may define global numbering whatever the project.

Babynus

More
24 Jun 2013 17:59 #10 by babynus

New fields for every folder (or project, or doc type) could be defined such as: "start auto-number" and "end auto-number".
In case they're left blank, Project'OrRIA would just ignore these and only take into account the (see 6) configured constraints for auto-numbering. These auto-number range-limits should be cross-checked, also, with the parameter that defines the number of characters desired for generated auto-numbers.

You mix Folfer and document type (see previous answer).

Babynus

More
25 Jun 2013 23:29 - 26 Jun 2013 01:27 #11 by abelinux

babynus wrote: Waooo ! :woohoo:
What a long request... ;)

I'll try and answer step by step.

Thanks Babynus for your patience and commitment. This might be Project'OrRIA's Nº1 feature!! ;)
Sorry for my delay, though. I'll also try and replicate your answers one by one, but it may take a few days to gather all the data required :unsure:

- Define a new field "Client's document name" (or could be a more generic field name, such as "alternate doc's name", or something like that, perhaps the field's name even configurable through parameters), so that we can track both (our client's and our own's) doc's numbering (or naming, more accurately) scheme at the same time.

It would be easy to include External Reference in Documents (like existing in other items) => Ticket #1121 recorded

Well... It wouldn't hurt, certainly... but I'm not sure it'd be the optimal way.

A little background:
A- Usually we (design companies) are requested to generate documentation for our customers. Since we are, in a way, "doc generators", most design companies already have their own document numbering/naming schema. I'd be caos otherwise. So. it'd be great if we could adapt Project'OrRIA document reference schema to ours, and not the other way around. (of course, it's an "easier said than done" situation :P )

B- Most customers (the bigger the company the more often) also have their own document numbering/naming schema. Wich is, of course, different from ours, and different among other clients'. So we tend to track both doc's names (ours and our client's) inside the document itself. I.e.: the document (as an entity) has two different "name" fields: "Contractor's doc name" and "Client's doc name".

C- Of course, it's the client who tells us the name we are supposed to name every doc. But it's a common situation where we start generating docs and don't have "Client's doc name" data yet. So it's imperative that we give our docs a name (with our schema) before it starts being reviewed. It's usual that we start reviewing certain doc with a name, and after a few revisions, we finally get the "Client's doc name" data, so we can switch names. And, in the doc intself (printed, in paper) there's both names printed.

So, I separated the first proposal in different "stages", so as to gradually implement those that are feasible:

MAIN PROPOSAL: if possible, I think "Client's doc name" data should just be a new field among document properties. Perhaps (so as to make it a more general approach) it could be something like "alternate doc name" or similar. But the associated file remains the same. Thus, we don't get in the way of versioning system. It's just one more field, which would be manually entered and updated. And, of course, could be left blank when not needed.

IMPROVEMENT: when I upload a file for the new version of a document, I can name the file whatever I want, and when I (or anyone) downloads the doc, the downloaded file has the document reference + version as it's name. This is an already existing feature.
The requested feature would be for Project'OrRIA to distinguish whether the downloader is a client or a company's user, and "compose" the file name with "doc reference+version" or "client's doc name+version" accordingly.
Then, as you already stated, the hard part would be to make that distinction.

I imagine (but not sure the amount of work involved, so... :silly: ) that a possibility would be to create two new fields (in the picture "is external" and "is client") among "Profiles" properties, that allow Project'OrRIA to make such distinction.
NOTE: I proposed those two fields, because it may be possible that you need to grant access to the portal to someone who is "an outsider", but not a client, in a different way. It may be useful (and defining either one or two extra new field/s may be a similar amount of work) having that distinction.
Something like:

This distinction might be useful for other things as well, not only for this request.
That way, when you define an e.g. "External project management" Profile, you flag it as "is external" and "is client".
When the user requests a download, Project'OrRIA checks those flags, and composes the file name accordingly.
With this first improvement, could be
- If the downloader is an internal user: existing procedure (composed file name: "doc reference" + "version")
- If the downloader is a client: new procedure (composed file name: "client's doc name" + "version"). Of course, if "client's doc name" was left blank, it should default to existing procedure.

NOTE: this would be field Nº2 in the "Client's doc name reference.png" attachment

NICE-TO-HAVE: as an ultimate improvement, Project'OrRIA could be able to manage different "Clients" entities (as in "company" type of client, not "individual person" client) with different "client's document reference" schema, that would be defined on a similar way as "document reference" is now defined, but on a per-client basis.

As you've already stated, though, this nice-to-have (but in any way critical) improvement might involve a lot of work. And Project'OrRIA might need to acquire quite a few features before it's capable of delivering this one.
Besides, this would only be useful once you get to know your client's naming scheme, and you're able to disaggregate it in different property fields. So perhaps, too much work for too little reward. :unsure:

NOTE: this would be field Nº1 in the "Client's doc name reference.png" attachment

OK, so that'd be all, by now, regarding client's doc name.
I hope I've made myself clear (it's not easy to summarize a written explanation like this one, on a foreign language ;) )

I'll be back soon, when I get toghether so as to discuss the other topics. I'm taking a deep breath, now ;)

Cheers! (and many, many thanks, Babynus! :cheer: )
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jun 2013 01:27 by abelinux.

More
26 Jun 2013 15:39 #12 by babynus
Hi,

I recorded your (very detailed) request as Ticket #1124

Babynus

Moderators: babynusprotion
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Cookies settings

Functional Cookies

Ce site utilise des cookies pour assurer son bon fonctionnement et ne peuvent pas être désactivés de nos systèmes. Nous ne les utilisons pas à des fins publicitaires. Si ces cookies sont bloqués, certaines parties du site ne pourront pas fonctionner.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

Ce site web utilise un certain nombre de cookies pour gérer, par exemple, les sessions utilisateurs.